Minerals are fundamental ingredients for a multitude of products and solutions—from electric car batteries to medicines, from livestock feed to asphalt. As the mining industry carries out its mission as an important contributor to manufacturing and economic development, it faces volatile market conditions and a variety of complex and often overlapping state and local laws and by-laws that impact its operations. While the economic and regulatory challenges are significant, opportunities loom as well in the form of technologies and innovations changing the ways minerals are located, extracted, and used.
We have a highly experienced team that advises mining companies across the entire spectrum of issues they face in operating and growing their business. As a leading counsel regarding aggregate, base and precious metals, industrial mineral and coal mines, both on the surface and underground, we offer broad experience navigating you through the complex web of environmental, safety, permitting, land use, labor and employment, transactional and financing hurdles all over the region.
We deliver valuable counsel through a combination of our understanding of the business of mining, the perspective of former regulatory enforcers, and nationally recognized proficiency in all aspects of environmental and safety law.
- State and local mine operations permitting
- Permitting, compliance and litigation under the local laws
- Mine safety, including compliance with the laws regulating mining
- Water supply and water rights issues
- Project finance and acquisition issues
- Leasing, access rights and joint development of exploration and mining operations
- Mineral title examination for private, state and local self-government lands
- Supply chain and construction-related contract negotiations and dispute resolution
- Litigation for disputes involving operating agreements, leases, and other mining-related agreements
- Land use and permitting
Milosevic Law Firm